[Tb] Use of Tinderbox by Historians

From: Raymond Brock <brock__AT__pa.msu.edu>
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 09:32:57 EDT

hi
I found that DevonThink was one, big single point of failure. That is,
everything lives inside of 4 coupled database files. Make a punctuation
change in an entry and then try to synch with another computer? You've
got to back up a four, even though you might have numerous unrelated
projects inside. Of course a corruption - which seems to happen - and
the whole thing's gone, unless you've been very regular with
maintenance. While the Pro version is supposed to make multiple
databases...it's been advertised as basically a half-year in the future
from any point in time. That slippage just worried me, so I quit and
moved to Tinderbox. While the file-size with any graphics is a problem,
basically negating the use of imbedded graphicss, the use of agents is
so unique, that I'm now pretty-well hooked. The learning curve was
tough, but now I think I have a handle on the rather unique way of
thinking that TB requires (except for puzzling out the various "kinds"
of links). I use it for note-taking and then write agents that search
on keywords, producing a private html file for browsing as I prepare a
lecture.

Best,
Ray

On Aug 26, 2004, at 8:35 AM, Art Russell wrote:

> Pascal, et al.,
>
> I'm not sure that Tinderbox, or really any one program at this point
> can
> meet the needs of an academic. Like others, I find Tinderbox to be in
> interesting and even intriguing program. However, like others, I've
> found
> that it suffers from file bloat.
>
> For the moment DevonThink seems to meet my needs as a "free-form"
> database,
> but without the usefulness of Tinderbox's agents. As time allows, I'll
> continue to work on mastering my admittedly limited understanding of
> Tinderbox and stand in awe of those who've had the opportunity to
> really use
> the program to its best advantage.
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Art Russell
>
> mailto:artrussell__AT__mindspring.com
> http://education.gsu.edu/spehar
>
> "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has
> endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us
> to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Raymond Brock * Professor of Physics
Department of Physics and Astronomy
3210 BPS Building
Michigan State University * East Lansing, MI 48824
brock__AT__pa.msu.edu

cell..............(517)927-5447
hep office........(517)353-1693/355-9200 #2120
open fax..........(517)355-6661
Fermilab office...(630)840-2286
CERN Office.......40 5-C31 * 76-71258

Home: http://www.pa.msu.edu/~brock/