[Tb] Use of Tinderbox by Historians

From: Mark Bernstein <bernstein__AT__eastgate.com>
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 09:38:27 EDT

On the subject of Tinderbox and speed:

        I constantly use Tinderbox documents with thousands of
entries, without uncomfortable speed degradation, on a rather old
and slow Macintosh. Tinderbox is EXCEPTIONALLY fast.

        I believe Profession Voegler misunderstood the wiki when he
attributes speed issues to XML. This is only relevant to loading and
saving files.

        It is true, however, that where a simple tabular structure
suffices, a database will always outperform Tinderbox. The purpose
of Tinderbox is to excel where databases are insufficient.

>2. images: tinderbox imports images and then converts them into tiffs.

        This is incorrect; the internal format is not TIFF. But it
is absolutely true that Tinderbox is not intended for storing image
libraries. Tinderbox agents cannot, in any case, give you much
leverage with image collections.

--
Mark Bernstein             bernstein__AT__eastgate.com    (617) 924-9044
Eastgate Systems Inc       http://www.eastgate.com/  (800) 562-1638