Re: [Tb] Time in the New Timeline Export

From: Mark Anderson <mac_at_yeardley.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:15:24 +0100

On 16/8/06 08:37, "tblist.5.haelo_at_spamgourmet.com"
<tblist.5.haelo_at_spamgourmet.com> wrote:

>> Macintosh dates, which Tinderbox uses internally, start in 1906.
>
> I was wondering about this. I knew that older Mac versions were limited, but I
> could not help but notice that when Tiger was released, the custom date format
> tools allow you to add an A.D./B.C. indicator, along with all of the usual
> suspects. If it is still limited, hopefully Leopard will allow these
> formatting rules to actually do something.

When I tried this with TB date attributes (using v3.5.4) I found dates after
2 Jan *1904* work. 1 Jan 1904 if entered is stored in a date attribute as
'never' and any date before that is incorrect, e.g. 2 Jan 1903 is stored as
7/2/39 06:28.

Some web searching shows year zero for Mac OS is indeed 1 Jan 1904. I also
found this impressive list of other 'important' dates (for doing
sortware-based calculations):
http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/critdate.htm

I assume this limitation is not Tinderbox as such but rather that of Mac OS
and/or Apple's Carbon/Cocoa libraries it may be using.

So dates pre-2 Jan 1904 are best stored as strings and ideally don't rely on
date calculations that may cross that boundary without doing some tests
first.

I'll try and get some hard facts on this and update the wiki etc., in due
course.

---
Regards

Mark Anderson