Re: [Tb] Tinderbox, OmniOutliner, and GTD

From: David J Garbutt <d.garbutt_at_intergga.ch>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:14:33 +0200

> An example that might clarify what some people might mean when
> they say that Tinderbox is kind of an "island" is just the
> issue of text editing.
Hi,
I agree with much of the drift of this thread, I have at times found TB
frustrating. But the text editing is a problem, I think I would be happy
with a text format that was at least easy to type and remember...

Going back to the original point about GTD I have been using a different
solution - Tiddlywiki for about a year now. It has developed very fast and
really is grown now into a hypertext environment - but implemented in a
single file (that includes the program) useable with any modern browser.

Inside the notes it uses wikiwiki text formatting and renders on the fly to
the screen using CSS stylesheets. (these are dynamic and customisable, they
are stored in tiddlers also).

There are currently two GTD implementations d3 and MPTW- GTD.

Start from the main web site at www.tiddlywiki.com. Make sure you have a
free evening before you visit ;-)

This fills an important condition for me - I need to have a system on
Windows as well as my home Mac.

TiddlyWiki however is not an outliner - it has NO outline structure - it
only has notes (called tiddlers), links, and tags. It has plugins and an
amazing array of formatting - for example tables in notes, and tools for
splitting tiddlers and putting them together into larger pieces.

I have planned one day to make a TB export template, but I still haven't got
around to that :-(

Check it out.

I think it is very interesting (as a topic in interface design, etc.) that
you can do so much with just a tag box and customisable macros. I know you
could make something similar in TB (lets do it!), but having a flexible
simple system just there is worth a lot. I do not understand exactly why
this should be but perhaps it is to do with marginal costs, the cost of
adding that to a TB file is too big to bother with a very simple
application, so it doesn't get started, later the amount of info to transfer
is too much, so it still doesn't happen.
And the more expert you are the lower the perceived cost of TB is, and
therefore the more useful.

Ciao
Dave

--