[Tb] Poetry in prose exports

From: David J Garbutt <d.garbutt>
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 17:14:49 EDT

> Hello--
>
> I've got a mostly-prose website in which I would like to occasionally
> post poetry. When I post poetry, it's within a note that may also
> contain prose. The problem is that I can't find a clean way to leave
> blank lines for stanza breaks. Here's what I'm doing:

> Drive my dead thoughts over the universe,
> Like wither'd leaves, to quicken a new birth;
> And, by the incantation of this verse,
>
> Scatter, as from an unextinguish'd hearth
> Ashes and sparks, my words among mankind!
>
> The "poetry" css class makes the lines run up against each other like
> stanza break lines as empty and doesn't export them as a paragraph,
8< snip >8

> Any ideas? Any confirmation that the non-breaking-space character is
> Best Practice?

I think you could also use a class like stanza

And include extra padding or bottom margin in the style.
You could include stanza divs within a poetry class or not. If you do then
it also possible to have different stanza formatting e.g. italics, right
justified, indented, etc.
Leaving <pre> to the concrete poets :-)

Dave

--