[Tb] (no subject)

From: Garth Corral <gcorral__AT__abode.com>
Date: Thu Mar 25 2004 - 15:42:04 EST

On Mar 25, 2004, at 10:24 AM, Mark Bernstein wrote:

> This, incidentally, is another example of why tech support is a much
> better place to discuss details like this.? Why should we bore 30 or
> 50 people getting to the bottom of this, when Jeremy and someone at
> Eastgate could get the answer and then, if the answer is sufficiently
> interesting, report back?

I couldn't disagree more. There's no reason why this discussion should
be private. I'm not bored and I don't have this specific problem.
It's interesting enough to skim the discussion to get the gist of the
problem and then move on to the next one. What if Jeremy doesn't find
the answer sufficiently interesting? What if he just plain forgets to
report back? Then someone else may have to go through this entire
discussion again. With it on this list, the answer is archived and a
search engine can then be employed before wasting time reporting the
problem yet again.

That's not to say that someone won't post the same problem on this list
again, but at least then someone can direct them to this thread. This
is what discussion forums are all about. Users of mailing lists and
usenet are accustomed to the workings of such lists and can use them in
a way the best suits them. That is to say, we're used to off-topic
posts, thread hijackings (such as this one), uninteresting threads,
etc. That price is well worth the benefits of having it as a resource.
  Please don't encourage people to take these discussions elsewhere.