[Tb] A couple community issues (epic)

From: Garth Corral <gcorral__AT__abode.com>
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 12:34:43 EST

On Feb 5, 2004, at 7:39 PM, Bob Torres wrote:

> So, anyone know how we go about putting Lee's idea into practice? The
> forum currently runs phpBB2. I'm open to using a new package if that
> can give us the functionality described above 'out of the box,'
> provided
> I can import users that are currently registered. I don't want to make
> 43 people register again....

Well, I've looked briefly at the phpBB web site and downloaded the
package. Unfortunately, I can find nothing about an email gateway. At
this point it looks like we'd need to hack phpBB itself to get it to
relay postings to the mailing list unless we scraped the forum which
would be horribly inefficient an not very maintainable. Going the
other direction would be somewhat easier but still not a snap. I don't
know what to say at this point. I'm not a php kind of guy. I'll
search around to see if I can find some existion hack to phpBB that
does what we want but... I know nothing about other forum software.
Anyone?