[Tb] spellchecking update

From: Lee Phillips <lee__AT__lee-phillips.org>
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 16:35:30 EDT

Executive summary: if running Panther, update CocoAspell to v. 1.4.1
to avoid severe problems with Tinderbox.

Details:

I had written previously that spellchecking in Tinderbox was not working
for me - choosing the menu item had no effect. Dr Bernstein replied that
I was the only one in a long time who had any problem with this. More
recently, Tinderbox had started to crash whenever I opened a note's text
window, so now I really had to find out what in my system was interacting
badly with Tinderbox.

I had installed a replacement for the stock Cocoa spelling service called
CocoAspell (it's cool - real about it at http://cocoaspell.leuski.net/).
Reading the crash report from the Tinderbox crashes suggested that the
spelling service might be involved (convenient display of these reports is
a nice new feature of Panther). Going to the CocoAspell page revealed that
there was a new version for Panther, which I had recently installed.
I installed v. 1.4.1 of CocoAspell, and now not only does Tinderbox
spellchecking work, but it doesn't crash.

Note that Tinderbox doesn't even use the systemwide spelling service, but a
framework that comes bundled with the application, but somehow having a
nonstandard spelling service installed interfered.