[Tb] Re: some minor bugs

From: Andy Dent <dent__AT__oofile.com.au>
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 17:38:26 EDT

> Dr Mark Bernstein ...points out, in regard to the item about cutting
> and pasting notes, that that's the way it's supposed to work:

Well, I'd say it sounds more like a chain of design decisions led to
this result, not that someone said "by design, prototypes should be lost
when you copy and paste".

> a note's prototype is defined by a link

I have been bothered by this from the start of using TinderBox. It mixes
paradigms, causes visual noise and now I've seen another reason to think
it is a bad decision.

, and they decided that
> cutting (or copying) and pasting notes should not preserve
> their links (unless the linked notes are copied, too)

This sounds very reasonable.

If I was involved in Tinderbox architecture I'd be looking at the UML
diagramming community for lessons learned in editing complex diagrams.
There's been a lot of evolution in there in the last 10 years. In
particular, they have had to confront the issue where you have a complex
model and want to show only part of it and sometimes only want to show
*some* of the relationships between particular classes.

In particular, Objecteering was much more usable for me than Poseidon,
due to very fine-tuned decisions about how to hide and show elements in
diagrams and which contextual editing actions to allow. I haven't used
Rose for years but remember being unimpressed. Object Design is another
good one to learn lessons from in terms of diagram zooming.

Andy Dent BSc MACS AACM http://www.oofile.com.au/
OOFILE - Database, Reports, Graphs, GUI for c++ on Mac, Unix & Windows
PP2MFC - PowerPlant->MFC portability