Re: [Tb] Tinderbox plans; next vs. this

From: David J Garbutt <d.garbutt_at_intergga.ch>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 19:19:37 +0100

>> Moreover, I misread the expression "next winter". Here in London I take
>> that to be 2007/2008, but I now understand that it should have been
>> 2006/2007 (which is "this winter" in local parlance).
>
> It's "this winter" on this side of the ocean, too.
I guess we need to call in a linguist on this; I have always been confused
on this issue - preferring myself this to mean the immediate next and next
to mean the one after that.

To hear it might be a cross Atlantic thing I hoped would explain my
confusion - being British but having had a year in an American high school
at 17.
Perhaps it is just allocated at random by area people live...

Dave

--
Dave Garbutt
Ingelsteinweg 4d