HTML entities and feed validation

From: Scott Price <sprice_at_textuality.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 15:40:54 -0400

Hello--

I've got a newsfeed exporting from Tinderbox and its working well but
for one thing that I don't know how to change. The text going in
often copy-pastes text, and I use emdashes in my writing. Feed
validators like

http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi

... get the output of a note which has an emdash and complains about
an "unknown entity &mdash;" . If I take Tinderbox's output and do a
(BBEdit) find/replace ( &mdash; to &amp;mdash; ) it's fine, and
that's one of Feed Validator's recommendations.

But running a find/replace in a separate application isn't a good
long-term solution. Is there a way to change what Tinderbox exports
an emdash as? Any other suggestions for automating this using
Automator or a command-line script? Or perhaps there's another way
to declare parts of my feed xml file so that entity is acceptable
within certain blocks?

--Scott