Re: [Tb] Tinderbox, OmniOutliner, and GTD

From: Elaine Sims <esims_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 08:21:52 -0400

Hi all,

I'm a writer, too. And I share Roberto's sentiments. I really like
Tinderbox, and the new features in the latest upgrade are welcome. I
do a little bit of scripting and I still found it frustrating to
learn Tinderbox. When I originally bought it, I fussed with it
because I was procrastinating with my writing, and then dropped it
when I got going on a draft manuscript because I couldn't get it to
work the way I wanted it to without having to go back to the manual.

I've heard all the arguments for not having a more detailed (i.e.
user examples in the) manual -- because it would be limiting. But
sometimes too much freedom and too many choices can be debilitating.
The creative person who can figure out how to do innovative things
won't be limited by examples and instructions. A less technically
inclined user, or someone who just doesn't want to do so much futzing
around to get to a solution, would appreciate an instruction manual
which is just that, instructional and relevant, as opposed to
functional specs, which is what I consider the Tinderbox Manual to
be. (Sorry to sound so harsh, its not meant to be.)

I've come back to Tinderbox in the last six to nine months, and I
still like it a lot, and since I now know how to do more with it,
using it doesn't seem as daunting as when I first purchased it a few
years ago.

For example, I finally grasped the concept of creating a TB World, if
you will, and placing lots of different types of notes in it, instead
of creating a separate document for my journal, another for my
manuscript ideas, and yet another for my research notes.

My biggest fear is getting too dependent on it, and then losing the
document. (Eeek). (And before anyone says it, yes, I do backups.)

Elaine Sims
An evolving Tinberbox fan