Tinderbox for a research literature review

From: James Phillips <jimph__AT__mac.com>
Date: Thu Dec 15 2005 - 17:19:03 EST

I was wondering if anyone has used Tinderbox to create a literature
map for use in research (an Honours research project in the field of
Education)?

I used Tinderbox for something similar last year (on a much smaller
and simpler scale), but pretty much just put all my information
inside notes.

This time I was thinking of putting the literature reference
information into User assigned attributes (Authors, Date, Journal
name, Article Name, Publisher, pages, etc), and a summary of the
literature abstract (or as much as is needed) into the text of the note.

What I am hoping is that if I set it up correctly to begin with, I
can not only use the map view of Tinderbox to help me examine the
areas of literature that are related to my project (using aliases etc
to change the structure and explore how different areas of the
literature may relate and help me refine my project), but that later
on I can export this information as a reference list that would be in
suitable format for use in my thesis. If I spend some time setting
it up now, I am hoping it will save me a lot more time next year.

Anybody done something similar, or able to offer advice on the best
way to set this up? I have a reasonable understanding of the basics
of how to create, link and move notes in Tinderbox, but am not strong
in how to use attributes or aliases effectively (or prototypes, for
that matter, but I think the correct prototype will go a long way to
helping out here).

Regards

Jim Phillips