Re: [Tb] Fundamental usability issues & bugs

From: Mark Bernstein <bernstein__AT__eastgate.com>
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 21:16:17 EST

>The Export as Text dialog allows you to change templates, but the
>change doesn't have any effect (yes I pressed the Update button).

The template change affects the SELECTED notes. Often, when
exporting text, you want to apply the same template to all notes --
in which case, changing the default template is what you want to do.

Of course, if the template button in Text Export changed the default
template, then it would be hard to change the template for a specific
note, *and* there'd be a lack of parallelism to the

>don't get me started on the clunky UI for attributes...

Choosing one item from a list of a hundred or so is a UI problem, not
only for Tinderbox but (to the best of my knowledge) for everyone.
Menus are too short, hierarchical popups are deprecated, multi-pane
browsers consume screen real-estate, Shneiderman's dynamic browsers
are obscure and have not caught on. I don't know of a clearly
acceptable alternative in the CHI literature.

The addition of drag-and-drop from the attribute palette to key
attribute tables, and draggable key attribute entries, should (I
would think) be welcome to people who disliked the old way of
handling this.

Fortunately, this is an infrequent task. If you find yourself
manipulating attributes all the time, it's likely you could benefit
from a cleaner prototype scheme.

Your suggestions (to Eastgate) on this account will be most welcome,
and may well be rapidly implemented.

--
Mark Bernstein             bernstein__AT__eastgate.com    (617) 924-9044
Eastgate Systems Inc       http://www.eastgate.com/  (800) 562-1638