Re: [Tb] New list software

From: Lee Phillips <lee__AT__lee-phillips.org>
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 09:59:38 EST

> Hi Lee,
>
> Just out of curiosity, what software are you using to run the TB list
> now?
> I'm using Mailman for something at the moment but its a bit of over
> powered for the job.

I was using Mailman too, but I decided to look for something else because

(1) I didn't like how Mailman needed to keep several daemons running,
    using memory waiting for mail even when there were no messages for
    several days;
(2) Those daemons would sometimes die and mail to the list would be
    queued until I noticed what happened and restarted Mailman;
(3) Mailman seemed rather complex and mysterious, with poor documentation;
    why was sending mail to a list of people such a baroque affair?;
(4) I could never get it configured quite the way I wanted; for example,
    I couldn't seem to get it to stop sending me copies of bounce messages.
(5) The built-in archiving was a little weak.

So I looked for something that would not use memory unless it was actually
processing mail and decided to try SmartList. This is basically a set of
procmail scripts that mail to the list address is forwarded through.
I already use procmail to filter my mail, so I felt comfortable with the
idea. The scripts, like all nontrivial procmail scripts, are hard to
read, but it is straightforward to customize and seems to behave as it
is supposed to. I also installed Hypermail to generate the archives,
as SmartList does not have archiving built in.