Re: [Tb] Back up your preferences!

From: Lee Phillips <lee__AT__lee-phillips.org>
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 17:15:33 EST

> Hello Lee--
>
> If you are going to be replacing Tinderbox with other tools, will you
> be continuing to host this list?

I intend to continue to host and maintain the list and archives until
I am unable to do so, in which event I shall find someone to
turn them over to. I am committed to that, regardless of my personal
interest in Tinderbox.

In other news, my friendly posting policy has led to spammers spewing
on the list, so I have restricted posting to subscribers, as it was
before. My apologies to those of you without spam filters who had to
see these messages.

> I'm also interested to hear what your replacements end up being (or
> are). That naturally depends on what you are doing with it, but I'm
> interested nonetheless-- those tools might be useful for my work too!

If I ever put together a system that seems valuable, I shall certainly
describe it. In the meantime, I put up some vague thoughts on the
subject in a comment I left on the DECAFBAD website to which I linked in
my previous message.

This system will never have the unity of a monolithic program like
Tinderbox. In particular, the creation and editing of notes and the
definition of their relationships would be decoupled from the
"map view". That would become simply a diagram, generated on the fly
from metadata about the notes stored in a database. But I want to
be able to do things like say "Show me a diagram of all notes about
whales and any notes about pollution that are linked to the whale notes."
and see a diagram of just these notes and the links between them.