[Tb] Implementing Comments feature

From: Lee Phillips <lee>
Date: Mon May 09 2005 - 16:43:41 EDT

> I'm creating a blog and would like to include a comments feature to
> the individual entries. From what I can tell, some sites are
> actually hosted by blog servers that offer the comments feature for
> reader feedback. Is that the only way to go? If so, what are some
> good, affordable options? If not, what software might I use
> (caution: I'm not a programmer)?

If you are using Tinderbox then you are probably thinking of
exporting your weblog from a Tinderbox document rather than
using some company's server-side software, no? If so, and if you
want the comments to appear without your intervention when the
reader fills out a comment form, then you will have to implement
some kind of cgi program on your webserver that processes the
form. I'm sure there are scripts to handle this that you can
pick up, so you won't have to program it yourself.

I happen to think that a better solution is to invite readers to
email you with comments; then you include the ones you think are
useful (by adding them to your Tinderbox document, of course).
You can even include a form for readers to use who might not be
able to send mail the normal way - and I know there are cgi
scripts out there to handle this for you. This way your website
will not be polluted with spam and juvenilia - but make sure you
use temporary, disposable email addresses for this.