[Tb] Age vs. Chronology of siblings

From: Mark Smith <mark__AT__bbprojects.net>
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 17:55:28 EST

Nik wrote:

>If you want to pull the oldest=20
>chronological item, set your container to auto-sort by creation date in=20
>reverse. Then the first child will also be the chronological eldest. If=20
>you'd rather than the eldest were the chronological youngest or the=20
>alphanumerically highest, you can do the same thing.

One counter example[1] from me and then I'll bow out of this...

Imagine a local hierarchy of sibling notes which are to form items of e.g. =
a sidebar for a website. One would drag the siblings into the order in whic=
h one would wish them to be displayed on the site - *not* necessarily into =
any date-based sort order.

Consider then an editing policy in which you were looking to update older i=
tems, you might try to gather the notes from amongst these siblings with th=
e least recent modification dates.

I imagine most people would "reach for" the "oldest" term to get such notes=
=2E I predict that "they" will be confused when they instead get the notes=
 from the top of the list.

mark.

[1] It was hastily assembled and is therefore not too robust, but hopefully=
 it serves to illustrate the point nonetheless.=20