[Tb] Help with #last in rule/agent

From: Lee Phillips <lee__AT__lee-phillips.org>
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 16:01:54 EST

> > lastchild=^title(child)
> >
> >[gives] the name of the (hierarchically) first child assigned
> >to lastchild. The manual says that this should yield "the oldest
> >child of the current note", but that's wrong, as are the
> >descriptions of "prevSibling", etc.
>
> The manual is speaking in terms of ORDER, not AGE. In the outline
>
> Fruit
> apples
> cherries
> peaches
> pears
> tomatoes
> Vegetables
> potatoes
> zucchini
>
> we conventionally speak of the apple as being the eldest child of
> fruit, and of the cherry as being the younger brother of the apple.

We do? I had no idea. Since I am unfamiliar with this jargon, I
naturally assumed that "older" and "younger" had something to do
with time, rather than position. Apologies for claiming that the
manual is wrong, then, but I would suggest that you either
explain this specialized terminology or use a more natural one.

Unless, of course, I am the odd one here. Is there anyone
listening who, when reading that prevSibling gives you "the next
older sibling of the current note" knows that this means the one
to the left rather than the one that is actually older?