[Tb] import from Inspiration outlines

From: Jim Allman <jim__AT__ibang.com>
Date: Mon Oct 18 2004 - 20:06:08 EDT

On Oct 18, 2004, at 7:14 PM, mark david mcCreary wrote:
> I have hundreds of Inspiration outlines that I want to import into TB.
> I was surprised to see an export menu selection, but not an Import. In
> reviewing the TB site and wiki, I notice that I am not the only person
> with import questions (but no answers have been posted).

Mark,

I used and enjoyed Inspiration years ago. It looks like they're really
focused in on the secondary-school market these days.

If Inspiration can export to a valid XML file (perhaps the HTML export
will work, if nothing else), then it should be possible to use XSLT to
translate into the Tinderbox XML schema. If you have a small export
file that you can post, I'll be glad to take a look. Perhaps I can make
a web-based tool for some of the more common conversions. (Note to
self: Check to see if Marc-Antoine's TinderToolBox can be adapted
here.)

Do you suppose the HTML output includes information on layout, color,
etc? Can you see which of the available export formats is the most
"complete"? MS Word should also save as valid XHTML. Feel free to send
multiple formats (directly to me) if you'd like me to compare them.

> A bigger problem appears to be getting the content of Inspiration's
> outline entries into TB on an automatic basis. That is, some of my
> Inspiration notes have formatted content associated with them, and
> while
> I can export that into plain text, TB cannot handle it.

Not sure I'm following you here. By "formatted content," do you mean
styled text?

   =jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media