[Tb] Moving Files Using an Agent?

From: Greg Hanek <ghanek__AT__indiana.edu>
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 13:19:05 EDT

On May 13, 2004, at 7:27 PM, Ken Tompkins wrote:

> Is there a way to move notes using an agent? I was thinking of moving
> current notes
> to an archive after a period of time but can't figure out how to do it
> with an agent.
> Wondered if the experts here had suggestions.

Welcome Ken,

Nice to see a familiar name appear in these parts. ;-)

Agents can grab aliases of notes. So if you wanted to, you could have
aliases which grab the notes that were created in the last week, and
publish them as a single page (for instance, by publishing the agent
and it's children) and also have another agent which grabs the notes
that are older than a week.

Using this method, you wouldn't be directly publishing the outline
which holds the actual notes. A little bit of misdirection, but
ultimately much more powerful. You can create archive agents that will
generate weekly or bi-weekly archives, monthly archives, and category
archives (based on note attributes that indicate the category).

> Also, how can I look at the construction of an agent in someone else's
> template?
> In the Grey Flannel template, the author says that the Main Page is an
> agent. I haven't
> yet found a way to look at that agent to see how it does what he says
> it does.

Select the agent in the outline, then use Note>Get Info... to see teh
details about that note. In that view you can examine the actual Agent
query which is doing the magic.

Greg