[Tb] Re: Attributes and user attributes

From: Lee Phillips <lee__AT__lee-phillips.org>
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 15:37:42 EST

> >I ask you again, please use tech support email for tech support.
>
> I have done, as I said in my post. But why do you want to keep this
> discussion there and there alone? I get the distinct impression that
> people here on the list have an interest too.

I certainly do. I'm learning something from this discussion that will make it unnecessary for me to ask similar questions myself to tech support.

I happen to be a member of several mailinglists dealing with both commercial and open-source software that are the principal means of support for the users of that software. Both authors of the software and experienced users answer questions. The advantages of an open, public discussion, and the permanent repository of information in the form of an archive, seem to be obvious to everyone - so much so that I have never seen anyone even bring up the issue. I've certainly never seen anyone suggest that such questions are better discussed in private until Dr Bernstein started doing so here. Other experiences lead directly to the presumption that this results from pressure within the company to keep what might become discussions of possible bugs as quiet as possible, but I think this is misguided. In any case, I think it is a wonderful thing that the author of Tinderbox has subscribed and is being so generous with his time in helping us users.