[Tb] A Reader-Writer Bulletin Board Tb?

From: Jerry Balzano <gjbalzano__AT__ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue Jul 20 2004 - 01:30:12 EDT

Hi Oliver,

As a discussion board "administrator" I have a number of useful
privileges, but nothing like what I think you probably mean by a
"direct" hook into the data.

It's unfortunate that Tinderbox doesn't do this, or provide the means
for users to do it, but the solution I have obtained is to use
Marc-Antoine Parent's TinderToolBox. Even this required some extra
custom-programming by Marc-Antoine, but the end result is pretty
nice. I set up a single note with boilerplate code inside it (TTB
can do this), a different variant for each "thread"/page of the
discussion board. When I run this document through TTB, each of
these naked notes goes to the DISCUS bulletin board, grabs its
designated page, and sorts the different students' entries into
separate notes that are children of the original note that spawned
it. Each child note has a number of useful attributes (specified in
the boilerplate code) corresponding to the student's name, the title
of the reading, the time of the post, and suchlike. Once I've got
all these things, I can create agents, one for each student, that
will collect up their posts. And I can of course do all the
linking-type stuff that a plain vanilla database would be hard
pressed to support the creation and depiction of the way TB does.

Jerry