[Tb] learning curve to[o] steep

From: Johndan Johnson-Eilola <johndan__AT__clarkson.edu>
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 11:38:36 EST

I won't purport to be a Tinderbox power user, but I have worked with
the program enough to have figured out one of the issues that seems to
be a stumbling point for a lot of potential users: Tinderbox *looks*
like a very straightforward, intuitive program. It's not.

That's not a criticism; I don't subscribe to the Ted Nelson/Don Norman
"Computer interfaces must be completely obvious" school of thought. To
my mind, powerful working environments are often very complex, and for
good reasons. Photoshop, as you say, is a good example. Users can do a
handful of very easy things without reading the manual and spending
time experimenting via trial and error. But to go much beyond, say,
creating simple notes and embellishments, one has to (a) work carefully
through the manual, (b) find some current projects that they can take
apart and learn from, and (c) ask questions of the small user
community.

One has to approach it more from a hacker's or programmer's mindset
than a writer's or graphic designer's.

- Johndan