[Tb] some minor bugs -- formatted repost

From: Lee Phillips <lee__AT__lee-phillips.org>
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 13:53:09 EDT

*** Little Bugs or Annoyances ***

   === Export Template file selection ===

    If I edit the attributes of a note to change the HTMLExportTemplate. I get a file selection dialog, with non-text files greyed out. If I dismiss the dialog and change the type of the file I want to TEXT, and try to select it again, TB still won't let me. It won't see the updated file metadata until I restart it.

   === Check Spelling ===

    Edit -> Spelling -> Check Spelling does nothing.

   === Text Searching ===

    If I am a note window and I type Command-G to "Find Next", and the only instance of the search text is in the current note, TB opens another window on the current note.

   === Resizing aliases ===

    When I try to resize an alias by dragging the little black squares, the original is altered instead.

   === Opening web pages on save ===

    If I have a note open that has a URL, and if ViewInBrowser is true for that note, the, when I save the document, the URL is opened in my web browser (if more than one such note is open, then they will all load in the browser).

   === No action with drag from browser ===

    When a note is created by dragging directly from a browser's (well, I've only tried this with Safari) address bar into a note with an action, the action is not performed. One must drag to somewhere else and then drag the note into the container with the action.

   === Date ranges and representations ===

    I can't seem to create a date attribute very far in the future - the limit is somewhere around 2030. This is not a big deal - but it would be good to be able to control how dates are displayed. If I set a date attribute to January 1, 2012, TB will afterwards inform me that the date is 1/1/12; it tells me the same thing about the date January 1, 1912, and there is no way to distinguish between the two.

   === cut &amp; paste loses some data ===

    When I cut a note and paste it in somewhere else, it loses its prototype (at least).

   === File link icon too subtle ===

    I can't easily see at a glance whether I there is a file link or not (partly because my display renders light colors too pale) - the state of the web link icon is obvious, though.

   === Be careful choosing file names for exported pages ===

    I recently took a long time to figure out why Tinderbox was suddenly getting an error on HTML export - it suggested that I might be out of memory or disk space, but neither of those were likely to be the real problem. Finally I noticed that the title of one of the notes to be exported contained slashes, and that the filename for the exported page defaulted to the note's title. As this is OS X (a unix system), filenames should not contain a slash. I changed the title of the note, and everything was back to normal. So, this is part user error and part bug - a program should know what file names are legal for the system it is running on.

   === Newline in template ===

    If an HTML template contains the string "\r" or "\n", this will be changed to a newline on export. I can discover no way to quote or escape this to get the literal "\r" in the output. What it the purpose of this? If I want a newline in the exported files, I can put the newline in the template.