sequencing notes

From: Lew Friedland <lfriedla_at_wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:24:39 -0500

Hello,
Thank you all for your advice. I've been trying to implement it and
so far haven't been successful, so I'm going to ask some step by step
questions.

First, the structure I'm trying to attain.

I have chapters (1...9) on which I'm taking notes. Each of these
notes has a different prototype based on structure of argument. These
prototypes are themselves embedded. So for example, I have a Chapter
Four container. In this container are all of my notes on the
chapter. The first note is a "claim" [claim 1] and this has notes
attached to it, for example, "reason" for this claim [reason 1]
which in turn has "evidence" attached to it [evidence 1]. So we
would have chapter four/claim1/evidence1/reason1. I understand that
you all get this, but am just restating for clarity.

What I want is to be able to have these numbered beyond "created,"
although that may work most of the time. I am trying to use Amber's
suggested sequencing method.

Mark, in this particular scenario, I would recommend a different
approach. It requires that the ordered set be located within a
container, but that will generally be the case. Then add this rule to
each of the children:

ident=$OutlineOrder - (^getFor(parent, OutlineOrder)^)

Of course, you could configure an offset somehow, if you wanted to,
so that they were not all 1234... Or instead of the parent, all notes
could be populated based on a common root, which could supply the
offset as a configuration option.

I do, indeed want to offset if possible.

As I understand it, my first task is to keep all Ch 4 notes together.
This should be done simply by being in the single Ch. 4 container.

I need to assign each of these notes a sequence number. Here's where
I'm a little confused.

First, do I take the code that Amber suggested: ident=$OutlineOrder -
(^getFor(parent, OutlineOrder)^)

and simply copy it into the rule of the Chapter Four Container?
(would this be a chapter prototype?)

Second, is this one line all together so I could block copy this into
the rule?

Third, so that I can learn to help myself the next time, I assume
ident is an attribute? Could someone translate this line of code
into English for me?

Parenthetically, I've been following the discussion today. I think
that this is some of the problem. I have used Tinderbox for a long
time, since it was created. But I'm just a plain academic, fairly
unfamiliar with code. So even these kinds of simple things are not
very transparent.

Thank you again,
Lew Friedland