Timeline Modifications

From: Ken Tompkins <ken_at_loki.stockton.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 14:42:36 -0400

Thanks for the quick responses.

I just did an experiment; I changed the date attribute to a number
attribute. That solved the
problem but, duh, the timeline continues to display the years 2006 -
2007. (I'm not going to
spend the time rewinding the timeline back to 1300 to see if it is
displaying that date.)

When Mark changes the date structure/range so that we can enter dates
earlier than 1906,
will the timeline display those dates or will it still display
current dates? In other words, what
determines the dates in the timeline itself.

It, strangely, makes the assumption that we all want present dates. I
can understand this;
it's like a to-do list: got to the wedding, plan for vacation, buy cheese, etc.

But surely the whole concept of timeLINE is to trace time over a span
and to show dates
in the past that I don't know about: the rise of the Roman republic,
history of university
english departments, roadbuilding in the US.

There has to be a way, therefore, not only for someone to enter
ancient dates but also to
display those date ranges throughout the timeline.

Back to the Simile site to think on this.

kt

--
                            Kenneth Tompkins
                        Professor of Literature