Re: [Tb] Tinderbox, OmniOutliner, and GTD

From: Mark Anderson <mac_at_yeardley.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 11:34:55 +0100

On 12/7/06 02:22, "3CI Consulting LLC" <retops_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> ... because I don't know how to do the things I want to do in Tinderbox.

But how can people write examples if they don't know what users wish to
achieve? No disrespect to the OP, the above is just cited as an example of
several similar comment in recent posts.

My comment here is made from a pragmatic stand-point - I agree more examples
would be good (I've even contributed a few). However, my experience helping
fellow TB-ers is that many find even generic examples difficult to apply,
normally because they can't map the general concept to their particular task
at hand. Actually, I'm often in the same boat often - I know it can be done
but can't see how!

Given the TB community is fairly small, users can help themselves by being a
bit more forthcoming with detail about what they are trying to do. The
likelihood of the software 'just working' as desired and the manual
explaining our every need is much improved if those writing them have some
idea of what the users want. Given that TB is such a multi-faceted program
it is over-optimistic to assume the authors will 'just get' each user's
differing needs without some user input. People often use programs in a
style the author never envisaged. The problems arising from this can often
be accommodated/explained if the author I aware of them [sic].

So, the more users offer up real world TBX data as testbeds and describe
their workflow problems here and in the wiki, where the underlying
generalities can be exposed and defined, the better the chance of great
documentation and examples resulting. Given the size of a small outfit like
Eastgate (who don't just make TB) some of the materials we 'need' are as
likely going to come from collective effort amongst the TB community as from
the author.

---
Regards

Mark Anderson