Re: client-side image maps

From: Rosemary Michelle Simpson <rms__AT__cs.brown.edu>
Date: Thu Apr 20 2006 - 17:09:55 EDT

> Have you considered our old, old friend, VRML? Does anyone use VRML anymore?

In a word, no. It is considered a pre-OS X legacy standard. It never
managed to deal with the behavior issues and was bypassed by other
efforts.

> The technique used in J. Nathan Matias's "ecommerce" solution might be
> useful, too. Use Tinderbox to prepare the data, and export it to an
> intermediate format that your widget can parse easily.

I've just been talking with John Bazik, who is the CS dept. webmaster and
who has been deeply investingating dynamic web solutions for about a year
now. We talked about serverside/clientside issues, PHP, Python,
JavaScript, Java applets and servlets, Ajax, and Ruby in the context of my
dream scenario on the one hand and on the other what I would settle for to
get this website application up and running over the next two-three
months. He ended up strongly recommending that I look at Ruby on Rails
for developing the application combined with maintaining an intermediate
format of my Tinderbox data on the server.

Comments?