Re: [Tb] Rule for GTD problem

From: Mark Anderson <mac__AT__yeardley.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon Mar 20 2006 - 15:39:40 EST

On 20/3/06 14:39, "Lee Phillips" <lee__AT__lee-phillips.org> wrote:

> I think you need something
> like
>
> Query: (Completed=true) & (DateCompleted=never)
>
> or whatever the default value for DateCompleted is. I have not
> tested this.

Quite right. I'd done my test in a single-pass context, whereas GTD is a
never-ending task <g>.

You are correct that 'never' is the default value for a Date/Time field that
has no specific date/time set as its default (i.e. the default box is left
empty when you set the attribute):
http://www.acrobatfaq.com/tbx/index/attribut/attribut/dateattr.html
...paragraph 1 is a reference if, like me, one tends to forget these things.

Your corrected query ensures that a 'today' value is only set if
DateCompleted hasn't already been set. I mention this as if the user ever
has reason to re-set the Completed flag to 'false' they should remember to
delete the DateCompleted value for that note to manually reset the
attribute's value to 'never'.

The Rule route needs v3.0.0 or later [sic]. Try the Rule:
if((Completed=true)&(DateCompleted=never)){DateCompleted=today}

My experiments using the older pre-v3.x syntax where you start with an
assignment (i.e. DateCompleted=^if etc...) resulted in any non-matching
note's DateCompleted value being set to 'never'. Not a desired outcome!
That's not to say it's not possible, I may just be using the codes
incorrectly. Still the examples cited above *do* work. The Agent method
should work with v2.4.0 onwards (perhaps earlier) and the Rule from v3.0.0
onwards.

---
Regards

Mark Anderson