[Tb] Confused about ^encode

From: Lee Phillips <lee>
Date: Wed Jul 27 2005 - 16:32:37 EDT

> We are currently double-encoding by intention; when we last visited
> the topic, that appeared to be the approach favored by aggregators.
> We plan to revisit the area once the dust from Atom has settled.
> --
> Mark Bernstein

OK, thanks for the note. But I'm not sure you want to be
encoding '@'. I may very well be doing something wrong, but I
discovered the problem when I saw that a feed from Tinderbox was
not displaying correctly in NetNewsWire, which is the dominant
aggregator on the Mac. I'm aware that there is a controversy
surrounding the escaping of html inside xml, and I definitely do
not understand the issue, so I just try to go with what works.
It seems that if a user follows the instructions in the
Tinderbox manual that he'll get a feed that does not follow
prevailing practice and will not work as intended in at least
some aggregators. Changing Tinderbox to behave as the manual
claims it does would fix this (as would the use of CDATA, which
works for me - maybe Tinderbox could use an export code that
wraps its argument in CDATA tags?).