[Tb] Tinderbox Weekend

From: Ken Tompkins <ken__AT__loki.stockton.edu>
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 19:23:10 EDT

>Did anyone go? Does anyone have anything to say about what happened? I
>wasn't able to go b/c of family commitments and didn't sign up for the
>non-attendees package because the description of it was so vague that it was
>impossible to tell whether it would have been worth the money (or any
>money).
>
>If anyone has news from the event and feels like sharing, I'm sure I'm not
>the only one who would like to know.
>
>Stephen

I attended with about 20 others. We met all day on Saturday and most of the
day on Sunday. On Saturday, we had two projects to work on in groups --
organize a huge collection of fairly random notes (this was basically a project
involving various ways to use agents to organize content) and, in the
afternoon,
Mark presented a full discussion of how to export content to an increasingly
elaborate web page.

On Sunday, various attendees shared their TB projects; they ranged from
notes collected in an Egyptian Art class through notes which reflected physical
notes as a means of getting organized to a very elaborate collection of
notes representing a scheme for doing scholarly research. Each of these
was full of tricks, work-arounds and new ways of organizing content; each was
invaluable as a model for getting work done. We were also presented with
a thorough and comprehensive discussion of Tinder Tool Box -- a collection of
command line programs which extend TB's functionality.

A number of attendees have remarked that one of the best parts of the weekend
was meeting really interesting folk. I couldn't agree more.

There is a new page on the TB Wiki describing the weekend and, as has been
mentioned, Mark has some postings and some links to other postings that you
should look at.

Finally, perhaps the most useful part of it all was a CD of all of
the presentations
as well as other goodies. Also, each of us received part of a new
book that Mark
is working on called "The Tinderbox Way" which is going to be an
incredible addition
to the present doc.

I learned an enormous amount of "stuff" that I am only now beginning to digest.
I hope this gives you a sense about whether the weekend was worth it -- IT WAS!

kt

--
                            Kenneth Tompkins
                        Professor of Literature