[Tb] Ease of use

From: Oliver Wrede <Wrede__AT__fh-aachen.de>
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 08:41:36 EST

Am 29.03.2004 um 14:32 schrieb jcherfas__AT__mac.com:

> For lists, are you using TB's built in list-handling abilities? They
> make life very simple, although there are problems with defining the
> end of a list. I find I need at least one character, -- even &nbsp; --
> to ensure that a list closes correctly. If ytou don't like that, it is
> also very easy to use macros to establish the lists and items within
> that, which gives extra flexibility for putting lists into different
> CSS classes.#

I don't know what ?internal list handling capabilities? are.

I know there is a way to use ^siblings(), ^childLinks() ... etc. I also
have seen the HTMLExportBefore and HTMLExportAfter attributes (combined
with HTMLParagraphStart/HTMLParagraphStart this could result in some
kind fo listing), but these require the lists to be in seperate notes
(which I don't like in most cases).

I could use plain HTML-code in the note itself, but I haven't found a
way to do just a line break instead of a paragraph - so the result
server (that does only allow correct HTML!). So if I'd want to use HTML
I'd have to either kill the HTMLParagraphStart/End values and enter
P-Tags by Hand -- or -- write HTML code blocks in on line without
linebreak. Both ways do not seem to be really cool.

I also tried to find something out about macros although I don't think
they are an appropriate way to edit lists in a note. But I haven't seen
a proper description of the macro feature. The documents (TB 2.1) don't
say anything about Macros. I found hints (like this one
http://markbernstein.org/Oct0301/MoreonMacros.html), but I couldn't do
macros myself, because there is no information about how to actually
_define_ a macro. Even the Wiki does not seem to contain anything about
macro definition.

I have just seen ONE example in the Wiki
(http://www.eastgate.com/wiki/wiki.cgi?MakingLists):

        listitem: <li>$1</li>

But when I use this macro in this way:

        ^do(listitem,"1","2","3")^

I only get the first list item rendered.

So digging around a little more have just learned that valuable
information is in the Release notes (and that is neither in the
documentation nor on the Wiki). I never really considered the Release
notes to be important for the average user... Duh!

But after reading the note about macros it doesn't appear to me why I
would want to place three ^do calls after each other to make a list of
three elements. A macro - in my mindest - is something far more
intelligent than a string with some placeholders. But maybe I haven't
understood the idea of macros at all yet.

Regards,
Oliver