[Tb] Re: Tb Digest, Vol 7, Issue 1

From: Jeremy Cherfas <jcherfas__AT__mac.com>
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 12:32:00 EST

On 5 Mar 2004, at 21:01, Dave Garbutt on Tb-request__AT__lee-phillips.org
wrote:

> There is a fairly simple way to this, and I have to say although I
> don't
> call my self a CSS maven I did work it out for myself :-)

Dave (and everyone)

That is a really nice technique and I like the way it works on your
site. But it doesn't quite work for me with images. (I may try it on my
archive page, which is a series of lists, to colour-code the
categories.) I want a liquid grid of squares, say 240 px x 240 px.
Then, within each square of that grid, I want a single thumbnail image,
centred vertically and horizontally. You can see the effect at
http://www.1976design.com/photography/medium.php although Dunstan
Orchard achieves the effect by calculating the offsets for each image.
I can't do that within TB alone.

In fact, I would settle for horizontal centring alone, with all the
images aligned top. I've seen comments that the container needs to have
an explicit width set to enable centring based on using "auto" for
margins, but have not managed to try that out exhaustively.

By the way, your site exhibits some funny behaviour in Camino and
Safari. In both, the Roosevelt box background overlaps the text to the
right. And in Camino the blue box changes colour at one particular
width. Most intriging effect!

Thanks

Jeremy