[Tb] Need for manual or organized online help

From: Barbara Murray <ffbmm__AT__uaf.edu>
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 14:56:10 EST

I have been reading this list for sometime because I want to buy
Tinderbox. I understand the exciting things it can do. Over the last
six months or so I have downloaded it a couple of times and used what
help is available in the download and online but never have got to the
point where I feel I understand how to use it enough to justify the
purchase and upgrade prices. I feel strongly that some sort of well
documented instructions and tutorials that cover more than is available
at present are needed before I will buy.

I am a reasonably well educated computer and application user. I enjoy
greatly doing research and figuring things out for myself, and this is
the first application I have hesitated about. I enjoy getting to
understand computer programs and spend a lot of time doing it.

I am mostly stymied about how to produce a smooth running web site. I
intend to publish my botanical taxonomic research online. I am excited
about the ability of Tinderbox to take my notes or diverse topics and
manipulate them to produce infinite permutations as needed: everything
about one species, everything about one character, details about groups
of species, details about groups of characters, illustrations by
character, or species, etc., etc. I know these things and others can
easily be done in Tinderbox, but I do not want to spend much more time
on production than I do on research.

I do understand the time it takes away from development to carefully
document features and plan a good manual, but I do think one is
necessary here.

Regard,

Barbara