[Tb] [lee__AT__lee-phillips.org: The forum mystery resolved]

From: Lee Phillips <lee__AT__lee-phillips.org>
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 11:44:28 EST

In answer to my own question:

> Finally, does anyone here know what's happened to the official
> forum? When I go there (http://www.eastgate.com/bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi)
> I get a page that says "Oops! The page you were looking for has moved,"
> and it's been that way for a while.

I happened to stumble on this explanation today on the official
Tinderbox wiki, at http://eastgate.com/bin/wiki.cgi?AskHere:

"After extensive discussion on the old forum, we moved from the old bulletin-board to a modern wiki. While we miss some things about the old forum, the wiki offers a number of important advantages. It's easier to keep the wiki organized, and to replace outdated information with current ideas."

Presumably this comes from someone authorized to speak for Eastgate,
although the structure of the page (as is common with wikis) makes this
hard to determine. The broken links to the forum are still up, with no
explanation about what's going on except on this wiki page. Apparently,
the archive of everyone's posts is gone. This might be a good time to repeat
that one of the purposes of this mailinglist is to allow the growth of
an archive of Tinderbox information that I am committed to preserving
on the mailinglist site.

Although Eastgate's dependence on the wiki alone means that the sources
of help and information on their site should become less fragmented,
recent history makes it impossible for me to avoid the suspicion that
the less structured nature of the wiki is attractive to them partly
because it makes it easier to erase certain information without it being
obvious, and that is part of what is meant by "It's easier to [...]
replace outdated information".